By Sibusiso Masilela
THE Boxing national team excelled in the Mafuzo International tournament held in South Africa on Saturday.
The national side scooped six gold medals, three silver medals and two best bouts cups during the annual invitational tournament which featured four countries at Gramastown, South Africa over the weekend.
The local lads outclassed participants from South Africa, Lesotho and Botswana. Some of the local gold Medallists include Phelindaba Gamedze, Andiswa Nsibandze, Nkosinathi Dvuba and Mukelo Dlamini.
National team boxer Zweli Dlamini won the best bout trophy plus a silver medal together with female boxer Sikhanyiso Simelane. Eswatini Boxing Association (EBA Secretary Nkosinathi Dlamini congratulated the team for its achievement.
“We are happy with the progress of the team following the good performance on foreign soil. We hope they will continue working hard in other upcoming international assignments,” he said.
Dlamini further thanked the Eswatini Sport and Recreation Council (ESRC) for supporting them during the trip. “We are grateful for the support of the council which helped us to give our boxers international exposure,” he said.
Mfuzo (RSA) Anniversary Boxing Tournament results:
1. Sikhanyiso Simelane 60kg – 2 silver medals and a trophy for best female bout.
2. Nhlanhla Dlamini 54kg – silver medallist.
3. Andiswa Nsibandze 60kg – Gold Medallist (On RSC)
4. Zweli Dlamini 57kg – Silver Medallist and a trophy for best bout.
5. Motto Latches 67kg – Gold Medallist.
6. Nkosinathi Dvuba 75kg – Gold Medallist (On RSC)
7. Mukelo Dlamini 57kg – Gold Medallist.
8. Phelindaba Gamedze 63.5kg – Gold Medallist.
9. Sifiso Ngwenya 71kg – (no opponent).